Disponible en / Available in: Español
The Respiralia Group offers treatment for Cystic Fibrosis. Here you have our services to improve the quality of life of children and young people with Cystic Fibrosis.
The Respiralia Foundation and the Cystic Fibrosis Balearic Association offer different services within projects that are presented to different public institutions and private entities for funding. Both entities are currently working together to provide comprehensive care to children and young people with Cystic Fibrosis with many activities.
Treatment for Cystic Fibrosis
Here you have information about our services for people with Cystic Fibrosis.
Welcome, orientation and monitoring program of people with Cystic Fibrosis and relatives
It is about making a first intervention with families who have been diagnosed with a child with CF, in which information is given accordingly to this stage of the disease, they are presented to other families who have gone through the same trance and we offer them the possibility of associating so that they can benefit from the rest of services.
Once they have become partners and signed the contract for the provision of services (required by the regional authorities), they can take advantage of the experience and knowledge of our team of professionals, including that of our psychologist, which in many cases is usually advisable at this time.
The program also includes hospital support and bureaucratic issues, for which we have a specialist lawyer in these areas. In addition, we have two apartments fully equipped to welcome families who live outside of Palma and have children staying at hospital.
Education equals Health in Cystic Fibrosis
Cysctic Fibrosis is a disease that requires physiotherapeutic treatments and daily medication, taking in addition to comprehensive hygiene measures. We are aware that if the different techniques are not applied correctly they are not productive, and may even be counterproductive.
For all this, this program aims to train children and young people with Cystic Fibrosis, their families and our professionals so that the effectiveness of the applied techniques and hygiene and nebulization protocols are as high as possible when applied at home without the supervision of the professional. We want our users to become as autonomous as possible in the management of their disease treatment.
Thanks to the Barcelo Foundation, promoter of this project since July 2016, both the professionals in the specific training courses and the children and young people with Cystic Fibrosis and their families receive the necessary knowledge to reach excellence in the services offered, such as it is foreseen in the definition of the values of the Respiralia Foundation and the Cystic Fibrosis Association of the Balearics.
In addition to the Barcelo Foundation, the rest of the sponsors are ONCE Foundation, Guillem Cifre de Colonya Foundation, Bankia “En acción”, Linde Healthcare, Vertex Pharmaceuticals, Eroski, Vitalaire, Escuela de Osteopatía de Madrid, IMAS, Consell Insular de Menorca, Ajuntament de Sant Antoni de Portmany and Consejería de Servicios Sociales y Deportes del Govern Balear.
The activities carried out in this program are:
- Respiratory Phisiotherapy: Autogenic Drainage formation sessions
- Physical exercise: Endurance training sessions
- Ostheopathy: Specific ostheopatic techniques aplication and postural hygiene formation sessions
- Training courses for specialists in respiratory physiotherapy: Organization of Autogenic Drainage courses for physiotherapists
- Workshops about respiratory physiotherapy: Organization of the Autogenic Drainage, hygiene measures and nebulization protocols workshop for children and young people with Cystic Fibrosis and relatives to update knowledge
- Manuals about respiratory physiotherapy: Edition of manuals such as Inhaled treatment and hygienic measures or nutrition
In 2018, 9 physiotherapists trained in Autogenous Drainage, 2 Osteopaths and 2 graduates in Physical Activity and Sports Sciences, as well as a liaison with families and administrative staff, work with us.
Productive Holiday in Mallorca program
It is an activity for people with Cystic Fibrosis and relatives who live outside the Balearic Islands. During a stay of 4 to 10 days they are trained in the technique of autogenous drainage, inhaled therapy and hygienic measures, besides being able to be evaluated by our osteopath and by our physical trainers. You can find detailed information at this link.
All the years, the Cystic Fibrosis European Association organizes the 2nd European Awareness Week of Cystic Fibrosis to improve the quality of life and the life expectancy of people with this illness.
With this Awareness Week, the European CF Association and the associations from 38 european countries, including the CF Balearic Association and the Respiralia Foundation, want to make more people aware of this illness and make possible that all people with CF can receive the treatment they need.
PrevAction: Get active in healthy habits
In order to improve the environment of people with Cystic Fibrosis, we carry out training activities in educational centers adapted to the age of the students:
- Storytelling on Cystic Fibrosis with the “Respiralio and the great Blue Bear” tale for children from 6 to 9 years. They can be students of educational centers and children of employees of companies
- Talks about the respiratory and circulatory system and its relationship with Cystic Fibrosis for children 10 to 14 years old
- Talks about genetics and their relationship with Cystic Fibrosis for youngsters between the ages of 15 and 17 who are studying for a bachelor’s degree in science
- “You decide”: With this activity, we will give high school students the effects of some of the most common vices by experiencing firsthand the consequences of not leading a healthy life by putting themselves in the shoes of:
- A person with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- A person with obesity
- A person with blindness due to diabetes
- A person with amputation of a limb due to an accident caused by excessive alcohol consumption
Solidarity sporting events
In addition, we organize some sport events to make people aware about Cystic Fibrosis.
- Strokes against Cystic Fibrosis in Mallorca
- Swimming Tour around Formentera about Cystic Fibrosis
- Solidarity kilometers against Cystic Fibrosis
The Respiralia Foundation and the Cystic Fibrosis Association of the Balearics have own publications to spread the knowledge of Cystic Fibrosis and to inform about the activities we carry out.
You can find the following publications:
- Annual magazines
- Cuento “Respiralio y el Gran Oso Azul” (Spanish version)
- Manual de alimentación para personas con Fibrosis Quística y familiares “Pautas para una alimentación saludables” (Spanish version)
- Manual of inhaled treatment and hygiene recommendations (2017 Edition) (Spanish version)
- Manual of physical training for people with Cystic Fibrosis (2013 Edition) (Spanish version)
In addition, you can find the following videos with interesting information about Cystic Fibrosis:
Physical exercise and Cystic Fibrosis, with Joan Llobera, physical educator of the Respiralia Foundation.
Covid and Cystic Fibrosis, with Dr. Borja Osona, pediatrician specializing in Cystic Fibrosis at the Son Espases Hospital.
Glotis within the Autogenic Drainage technique, by Ketty Ruiz, with the tricks to get the technique right.
Autogenic Drainage, by Ketty Ruiz (year 2014), an explanation of the technique of choice in the treatment of Cystic Fibrosis.
Complementary techniques, by Ketty Ruiz (year 2014), with tools to treat the digestive system, sinusitis, kyphosis, etc.
Upper airways cleaning, by Ángeles Fernández (year 2014), which explains how to use the nasal jar for nasal lavage.