What is the Swimming Tour around Formentera against CF?
The Swimming Tour around Formentera against CF is a non competitive and inclusive event to make people aware about Cystic Fibrosis (CF), in which participants swim at an idyllic setting such as Formentera. The coexistence with almost 300 people and solidarity with children and young people with Cystic Fibrosis are its two main motivations
How many days does it take?
Participants must be in Formentera on Thursday afternoon of the weekend of the Swiming Tour for the briefing. Friday and Saturday all day, and Sunday morning will be the swimming days.
How much and how do you swim?
The perimeter of the island of Formentera is 65 km. The organization does not intend to swim everything, because it would be utopia, but we try to make sure you can swim the maximum distance possible in the three days of the event. Stages of between 1 and 2 nautical miles are normally launched (between 1.8 and 3.6 km), always trying to ensure that the swimming area is safe in terms of waves, currents and jellyfish, if we can detect them.
If a person gets tired during the stage, simply raise your hand and an inflatable will pick you up. It is not mandatory to swim all the legs or the entire distance of each leg. It is mandatory to get on the boat each day.
Who can participate?
There is room for everyone in this event. It doesn’t matter if you are an expert swimmer or an amateur, if you have a disease or disability or not. In case you have a disease or disability, contact first with the organization (firstname.lastname@example.org) and we will talk about it. If you have Cystic Fibrosis you have free registration and a place reserved for a companion if you inform us within the deadline for each edition. If this is your case, you must send us information about your condition (consult us previously).
There will be three categories: the most experienced people, those who swim at a medium speed and those who are not so used to swimming. Each of them decides how many stages they want to swim and what they want to swim during those stages. In the event of not being able to continue swimming during the course of a leg, an inflatable boat will pick them up and take them to the mother ship.
What does registration includ?
- Accommodation from Thursday to Sunday or Monday (mattress on the floor, showers and bathrooms in the sports center).
- Thursday dinner thanks to the Consell Insular de Formentera, Friday to Sunday breakfast and lunch.
- Ground transportation from the port of La Savina to the Sports Center from Thursday to Sunday.
- Screen-printed cap with this edition’s logo.
- T-shirt screen-printed with the logo of this edition.
- Respiralia Magazine.
- Reusable tumbler with this edition’s logo.
- Aluminum drum with this edition’s logo.
- Accident insurance.
RULES TO BE FOLLOWED DURING THE EVENT
- It is mandatory to board the boat every day. In case of non-compliance with this rule, provided it is not due to medical leave (not including causes caused by excessive alcohol or other substances during the days of the event), the person who has violated this rule will be expelled from the event (including expulsion from accommodation) without the right to a refund of the registration fee.
- Follow the indications of the organization team during the stages. The volunteer team will give 2 warnings. In case of non-compliance with these warnings, the participant will not be allowed to continue swimming after the third warning.
- One participant, one buoy. Each participant will swim with a buoy. You can bring your own buoy or use one from the organization for a minimum donation of 5,00 €.
- Respect and coexistence: Living with almost 300 other people implies respect for the rest of those around us. It is the only way to spend 3 days enjoying the “Respiralia” spirit.
ACCOMODATION, SHOWERS AND MEALS
Registration includes a mattress on the floor of the municipal sports center and showers in their locker rooms. It also includes dinner on Thursday, provided by the Consell Insular de Formentera, and breakfasts and lunches for the 3 days of swimming. The Organization offers dinners on Friday and Saturday, but they are not included in the registration fee (donation 10,00 €/dinner). Afterwards there will be a party. We encourage you to prepare something for these two nights, as the volunteer team does.
The trip to Ibiza will be paid by the participant. We are managing the collaboration of a shipping company to collaborate with your ticket IBZ-FOR-IBZ, but it is not yet confirmed. Once in the port of La Savina (Formentera), the organization team will pick up all the participants and take them to the sports center. During the days of the Tour, the Organization will have buses to go from the Sports Center to the Port and back. If you want to rent your own vehicle, you must specify it in the registration form. If you have your own vehicle and you do not tell us, the buses will be empty and there will be an unnecessary expense and, therefore, less resources for the treatment of children and young people with Cystic Fibrosis.
WHEN CAN I ARRIVE AND HOW LONG CAN I STAY?
The Organization offers the Polideportivo from Thursday noon of the weekend of celebration of the Tour, not before. You can stay until Monday morning after the weekend, but at 08:00 hours you must leave your mattress stacked where the Organization indicates you. Your luggage can stay at the Polideportivo while we clean up until 16:00 hours (this schedule can be modified according to needs).
SUNSET AT BLUE BAR
The Blue Bar, mythical establishment of Playa de Mitjorn, invites us to a finger food before sunset on Sunday of the weekend of the Vuelta. In addition, a private concert is usually organized for Respiralia by Jah Chango after the finger food. The Organization will NOT arrange any means of transportation for the participants to get to the Blue Bar. You can see the wonderful concert of 2019 here.
One of the most emotional and beautiful moments of this event is on Sunday. At the end of the event, the teams of participants arrive at the beach of Es Cavall d’en Borràs and form a human corridor in the water, so that each team can perform their farewell choreography. Songs invented or with adapted lyrics, dances, mini plays, costumes, jokes, etc. will make the memory of our participation unforgettable. We encourage you to start thinking about what you are going to do…
20 REASONS TO PARTICIPATE
Find out why so many people come every year in this link.